Join Our Team
“If a girl is educated then a whole family will be educated and society will be supported.”
–Sneha, young woman of Shadhika
We are always looking for passionate and creative individuals to join our team and help further our mission. Click on a position below to see a full description, requirements, and submission information.
Shadhika Executive Director
Ideal Candidate Profile
Shadhika partners with women-led NGOs in India to empower young women from marginalized communities to realize their full potential, and become leaders in their communities. We envision growing our impact to reach 10,000 young women annually by 2030 and supporting a national network of change agents working in every state in India. With more than 20% of all adolescent girls in the world living in India, we know this local approach can create a groundswell of global change.
Addressing gender inequality and ensuring young women – in particular those at high risk of trafficking, child marriage, and other exploitations – have equal access to opportunities is not just a social justice issue, but also an economic, health, and political issue. Investing in better outcomes for young women not only helps to lift them out of poverty, but has been shown to have a profound ripple effect on their families, communities, countries – and ultimately, our world.
Shadhika provides grants to effective NGOs to support their programs, as well as scholarships to high-achieving young women to pursue college and vocational training. With this support, young women can find jobs in the formal economy and achieve true economic independence, thereby changing the course of their lives and that of their families and communities.
When she leads, change follows.
As Shadhika has evolved and grown, we are now seeking the next Executive Director to lead the organization into its next chapter. The Executive Director will build upon a solid foundation, with a new strategic plan providing a pathway for the next three years, a completed rebranding process, a passionate group of donors and Board members, and a dynamic staff in India and the US.
This is an exciting opportunity for a candidate looking to bring their expertise and energy to an organization on the rise, with proven results and key systems in place, and the opportunity to significantly expand impact.
The ideal candidate for this position:
- • Knows how to turn vision into action. You can see the trajectory over the long term, strategize about improving upon existing processes and identifying effective means to scale the impact – and know how to bring partners along in your vision. You might have led a small nonprofit organization, or been a significant player in its
- growth. You are not just a visionary, but someone who translates lofty ideas into exciting action plans.
- • Shares a firm belief in a human rights-based focus (development, not charity), a commitment to local empowerment, and a feminist approach. You have worked in another international setting, ideally focused on women or girls.
- • Is a strong fundraiser who 1) builds meaningful, long-term relationships, 2) is fearless in making asks, and 3) has the persistence to follow through until the gift is closed. You are eager to build authentic connections through 1-on-1 meetings, and understand that philanthropy is about having the chance to make an impact.
- • Has strong intercultural communication skills, and can adapt to very different cultures and environments, and have an understanding of privilege and political/historical dynamics at play in international development.
- • Has a “roll up your sleeves” attitude. You thoughtfully move to action and integrate learnings, and empower others to do the same. You thrive in small teams and are used to doing your own administrative tasks.
- • Is an empowering leader. You have a background in leading and supporting junior staff and helping them stretch and grow. Experience working with remote and internationally-based staff is a huge plus. Additionally, you have excelled with meaningful Board or partner engagement, and know how to maximize their participation.
The Executive Director will lead the organization to implement our moonshot goal to provide support, scholarships, and leadership opportunities to 10,000 girls and young women a year in India by 2030. He or she will be responsible for consistent achievement of the organization’s mission and financial objectives, overseeing staff and operations to meet these goals, and working closely with the Board on organizational strategy and vision.
With a dynamic staff leading the bulk of the day-to-day operations, the Executive Director will primarily focus in these three areas:
Vision, Strategy, and Leadership
- • Implement and update the long-range strategy to achieve our mission.
- • Lead and support work that delivers programmatic and financial results outlined in the strategic plan, including partnering with the Board to develop the annual budget and goals.
- • As the organization grows, identify and meet needs for Board engagement, culture, and growth.
- • Lead and empower the team of staff (2 in Denver, 3 in India), contractors (in Denver and Toronto), and interns (1 in Denver, 5 in India in 2020). Create and implement the long-term strategy to build team and culture.
- • Identify and strengthen internal systems and processes to support growth and scale.
- • Position and represent Shadhika as a leader in international grant making that empowers women and girls, and maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
- • Build upon the existing fundraising strategy to meet an initial annual goal of $500k-$750k for each of the first two years, with further growth thereafter.
- • Lead efforts to engage with current and prospective donors to share the impact and make asks to support the long-term goals.
- • Support the ongoing work led by the remote development contractor, including grant proposals and reports, and occasional fundraising events.
- • Share the impact of Shadhika as chief spokesperson and ambassador for the organization in a wide range of settings.
- • Broaden the donor base by identifying and engaging with key networks in the US.
- • Oversee the marketing and communications efforts to spread the word about our work.
Partnership Engagement and Growth
- • Develop relationships with, learn from, and follow the lead of our expert grantee partners.
- • Support the team in India in strengthening existing partnership with grantees, and identifying and building new grantee partnerships.
- • Collaborate with the team to build an effective programmatic growth plan.
Location and Travel: This US-based position can be remote or located in the Denver office. Regular travel (30-40%) will be required within the US to meet with current and potential donors; in addition, the role will require 1-2 trips to India each year.
Salary and Benefits: $75,000-$85,000, depending on experience level. Benefits include health and dental insurance and a generous vacation package.
If this description calls out to you, please email our partners at Gemm Consulting (firstname.lastname@example.org) your résumé, along with a tailored, authentic cover letter that explains 1) why this mission excites you; and 2) why this particular role is a fit for you.
Ready for Work Program Officer
Shadhika’s mission is to inspire a culture shift in India by ensuring every young woman is empowered to realize her full potential. Investing from adolescence to adulthood, we partner with local women-led organizations to ensure these young women can make their own decisions, succeed in school, contribute to the economy, and transform their communities. One young woman at a time, our bottom up approach is creating a generation of young women leaders, each of whom lifts up a generation beside and behind her. Her success creates a groundswell of change that starts in India and ripples around the world. Please go to our website for more information: www.shadhika.org
The Ready for Work Program Officer works with the President & CEO, Shadhika’s U.S. and India-based Program Officers, Shadhika’s Development Manager, as well as other staff, our grantee partners, and our partner funders to design, implement and manage Shadhika’s Ready for Work programs in India (see description below). This person must be based in India and must thrive working independently in a fast-paced environment.
He/she will develop relationships with employers in India to provide mentoring, training, internships, and/or job placements for Shadhika Scholarship recipients as well as provide financial support to Shadhika for Ready for Work initiatives. In addition, the Ready for Work Program Officer will develop, implement, and evaluate the job readiness training curriculum for Shadhika Scholarship recipients. The Program Officer is a pivotal member of the Shadhika team, contributing ideas, strategic thinking, organizational networking and collaboration to aid us in achieving our mission.
Reports to: President & CEO
Wages and Hours: This is a contract position, based in India. Contract amount and hours will be based on formalization of an annual work plan. All travel costs, phone and internet will be covered based on Shadhika policies and a laptop will be provided. Hours are flexible based on workload and program milestones.
- • With Shadhika’s CEO, Program Officers and grantee partners, develop, implement, monitor and evaluate Shadhika’s Ready for Work program.
- • Identify and secure employers in India to provide mentoring, training, internships, and/or job placements for Shadhika Scholarship recipients.
- • With Shadhika’s Development Manager, identify and secure funding to support Shadhika’s Ready for Work program.
- • Conduct site visits and maintain on-going relationships with grantee partners, Shadhika Scholarship recipients, and employers to ensure successful program implementation.
- • Carry out annual Ready for Work training program as part of Shadhika’s annual 4-day Leaders for Change Summit.
- • Communicate with grantee partners, Shadhika Scholarship recipients, and employers on an on-going basis.
- • Prepare regular reports on program activities and impact for Shadhika’s staff and board.
- • Plan and execute convenings of grantee partners, Shadhika Scholarship recipients, and employers as needed as well as support the development and execution of other Shadhika visits (donor trip, board visits, etc.)
- • In conjunction with Shadhika staff, develop and implement additional programs as needed to achieve our mission.
- Develop and manage relationships with partner funders and NGOs in India that support similar work and/or our grantee partners.
- • Work with Shadhika staff to support communications and fundraising activities, including providing written and visual information and grant proposal content.
- • Keep current on issues and trends in the field and provide updates as needed to the Shadhika Board of Directors and/or Shadhika staff.
- • Maintain clear and timely records.
- • Develop, assess and monitor annual Shadhika Program work plans and budgets.
- • Other duties as assigned.
- • Commitment to Women’s Empowerment, Gender Equality, and International Development.
- • 3-5 years of foundation, NGO, or job readiness experience required.
- • Bachelor’s Degree, graduate work and/or graduate degree in related field desirable.
- • Ability to work both the non-profit and for-profit communities.
- • Knowledge of basic employment rights and labor laws in India.
- • Self-starter who is willing to support and lead projects, working both independently and as part of a team.
- • Fluent and advanced English comprehension, speaking and writing skills.
- • Ability to maintain confidentiality of all work products and discussions related to Shadhika.
- • Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, as well as attention to detail.
- • Ability to thrive in a high-energy and team-oriented environment.
- • Results-oriented and strong ability to multi-task.
- • Knowledge of Hindi and/or other Indian languages preferred.
- • Ability to travel within India regularly and occasionally internationally.
- • Ability to lead meetings, discussions and direct them to a reasonable conclusion.
- • Personal maturity to accept constructive criticism and maintain a positive outlook.
- • Ability to review complex narratives and proposals and make recommendations consistent with Shadhika’s philosophy and culture.
- • Ability to analyze complex data sets and draw reasonable conclusions.
- • Ability to read and analyze program budgets and financial statements.
- • Ability to prepare and present written and oral information on Shadhika grant programs.
- • Motivated and results oriented.
- • Strong, proven work ethic.
- • Sense of humor.
- • Excellent computer and cloud management skills (MS Office Suite, Dropbox).
- • Must live in India.
Email cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to Kim Burnett. No phone calls please. Shadhika is an equal opportunity employer.
Deadline for application submission is 29th February, 2020.
Ready for Work Program Overview
Shadhika’s Ready for Work Program is a new program to be launched in 2020. The program aims to equip the young women of Shadhika with the necessary skills, awareness and experience so they can make informed career choices and become economically independent. Through this program, Shadhika will partner with firms working in the formal economy to provide mentorship, internships, and job opportunities to the young women Shadhika supports.