Shadhika is proud to advocate for a gender lens to put girls, women, and gender equality at the center of COVID-19 response, and recovery.
A Gender-Lens for COVID-19 Response
By Gillian Ford, Marketing Manager
May 7, 2020Reading Time: 2 minutes
Shadhika is proud to join The Deliver for Good Campaign and over 700 organizations from across 100 countries to advocate for the world’s governments to apply a gender lens and put girls, women, and gender equality at the center of COVID-19 preparedness, response, and recovery.
The following is an excerpt from the open letter, which you can read in full here.
“A gender lens is vital for effective COVID-19 response and recovery efforts that are grounded in human rights and pave the way to a more inclusive, resilient, and sustainable future for all. Our collective effort to apply a gender lens to COVID-19 is key not only to an effective response but also to progress in the long term, across every measure of development. A gender lens helps ensure that policies, programs, and investments respond to specific risks, vulnerabilities, and challenges faced by girls and women — in all their diversity, in all settings — so that no one is left behind.
To ensure that girls, women, and gender equality are at the center of COVID-19 preparedness, response, and recovery, we call on governments to take the following actions:
1. Apply a gender lens in all guidance, programs, and investments related to COVID-19
2. Guarantee inclusive and diverse representation in decision making and leadership for COVID-19 response and recovery
3. Uphold girls’ and women’s human rights in health — as providers and recipients of care
4. Maintain and expand critical gender-based violence (GBV) services and interventions
5. Ensure sustained, equitable, and quality education during and after the COVID-19 pandemic
6. Support economic justice and resiliency for women
Support Shadhika’s continued efforts to provide rapid, flexible relief to the young women we support in India through our COVID-19 Response Fund.
Learn more about The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, which outlines 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), adopted by all United Nations Member States in 2015.Read more